Sunday, September 13, 2009

82

In the midst of all this crazy facebook nonsense (KANYE WEST IS SUCH A WORLD CLASS BIG FAT DOUCHE BLAH BLAH I LOVE YOU BEYONCES [All which I pretty much agree with but care so little about...]) I have to take this moment and write about something that really breaks my heart.

So there is this runner from South Africa, Caster Semenya, and she's really fast. I mean, she sounds like so kind of athletic god, which I can totally respect. And because she is so great at what she does, she gets this extensive testing to see if she is a man. But no one tells her she is being genetically tested. They tell her it's to see if she is one drugs, but really they want to know if she is a man. And then this information leaks out to the world. People have a field day and she is now in hiding. Okay, that is Grace Young shorthand. But seriously. What the fuck world. It bring up all these issues with me. Like, doesn't this sound like eugenics. Doesn't this seem really invasive. Doesn't anyone care that she really is just a fantastic athlete.

Blah blah blah... okay. Maybe I will organize these thoughts later.

1 comment:

dphuong said...

yes! eugenics still exists! AND she was on the cover of a magazine completely made-over to look more like a "woman."

girl...you are not alone. join my WOC! Women of Color Lunch group!