The California Girl's Guide to Surviving Her FIRST Cold Winter Week.To the mass dismay of probably you, I do not do well in cold whether. I'm the kind of girl who actually prefers humidity, squatting in my own sweat, dripping in nature's air conditioning and reading blogs. The purpose of my life thus far has been to avoid any kind of cold front first because I am completely un-prepared for this kind of disaster and secondly because I don't like cold hands. Unfortunately, last week, throughout the last week of my first semester of teaching, Mother Nature decided to act with cruelty and strike my life with a vengeance!!! One week of below freezing temperature (CRUEL FATE). On the bright side, throughout this week I developed a system to combat and ultimately conquer the cold. Using quick thinking like MacGuyver and a slightly disposable income (given my lack of children), I was able to survive and thus pass my knowledge to you.

1. A Parka. For as way back as when, I have been a huge advocate for the parka. One hundred percent utilitarian (a must) and a fashion statement, the parka is necessary. For weeks before, I was rotating a pleather jacket (plastic+leather), a swaket (sweater+jacket) and a trenchcoat. Other teachers often scoffed, saying that as a Cali-girl I needed to get more prepared. Thankfully, Brandon came through with an early Christmas present (that I pre-picked). He gave it to me early and I have worn it EVERYDAY FOR TWO WEEKS!!

2. House slippers. At one point, I would have rejected these silly shoes, saying that they are a too bougouis tu xie (slippers). NOW, I can't stop wearing them. Lined in faux fur, they are the perfect accessory for the divanista or divanista in training. Also they are warm. Did I mention that?

3. Swiss Miss. Need I say more? Increase you decadentness by using whole milk. Topped with whipped cream. Add a personal favorite, unpictured in its shame, of sprinkles for a festive cheer.

4. Tealight candles. THE POWER FUSE BOX BLEW OUT DOWN THE STREET AND THE INTERNET STOPPED WORKING AND THERE WERE LIKE FIREWORK DOWN THE STREET FROM THE CRAZINESS. I had NOTHING.
NOTHING. I went across the landing and my neighbor gave me tea lights. In cold weather you must be prepared because, mathematically,
cold weather = lights going out
ALL lights out = No internet
No internet = DISASTER
DISASTER = COLD.
Trust me. Be prepared.

5. Ceramic heater. I drove to Home Depot (HAZARDOUS DRIVING!!!) and walked in with a purpose. I asked where the heaters were and they said they didn't have anymore. I should check returns. I ran there and the lady told me that there were two left. Two weeks ago they had over 2,000 and in one week there were TWO IN RETURNS. I bought the ceramic one, and the glowing red heat is fire to the primitive being in me, and now I am toasty. Also, my new plant was dying so I put in out of the direct line of the heater and now it is thriving. So not only does this heater warm me, it saves lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment