So, I was not that big of a Achielles fan to start with because I feel like he is always so butt hurt and mopey. I just started reading Book One of Aeneid and already, Aeneid is shaping up to be a way more legit hero than the "epic heroes" in the Iliad. He pays respect to past heroes instead of thinking he is the greatest ever and his honor is the most important thing because he is so important (cough HECTOR AND ACHIELLES AND PARIS AND ALL THOSE FOLKS) (4). What's more, when his men are all beat down he gives them this great little speech and "though he was sick/ With worry, he put on a good face/ And pushed his anguish deep into his heart" (pg 8 my itlaics). What a trooper. Seriously, I foresee literary crush status.
When he wakes up he wants to go and explore and "report back to his men", not PLUNDER PLUNDER RAPE AND KILL (pg 11)?! Man after my heart. And he is half God? He is like, the better more kind Achielles. Who is not so sensitive and mopey.
On a more serious note, I think that the real difference (that I see in Aeneas so far) between the heroes in the Iliad and Aeneid's Aeneas is that Aeneas does not entirely seem to buy into all that honor business. He seems to be all about taking care of his men. When he sees the murals of the Trojan War, he is moved to tears by the rich history of his people. He's constantly thinking about how Troy/Rome will be amazing in the end, instead of being so caught up in how to make himself great.
Also, I super love this Roman pride going on. Ex: "Lords of the world, the people of the toga" (pg 10). Maybe it is that this is late. Or maybe it is that this is hi-la-ri-ous.
Two Phrases. Two Words Each. Bring It & Suck It. (WHICH SOUND REALLY WRONG TOGETHER!)
No comments:
Post a Comment